Levi Montgomery is co-owner and chief instructor for Priority One’s BASETAC Training center, located in Nashville, TN. His law enforcement career began in 1979, and his postings as a police officer have included SWAT, undercover, vice, patrol and tactical training officer. With an extensive background in police tactics, weapons use and Martial Arts, his unique methods of controlling aggression have been recognized and implemented throughout the US and abroad by special operation groups such as Team MIKE in Kosovo, H8 (Hostile Area Tactical Escort) Teams in Iraq and special interest groups operating out of the western U.S. In addition, Montgomery is a Master Tracking Instructor trainer, instructing law enforcement and military personnel throughout the United States and Canada in the use of police tactics and Visual/Tactical Man Tracking.
The threatening nature of many of Montgomery’s work environments – particularly undercover operations with no back-up support – led him to create a method of dealing with aggression that is hidden from those around him while effectively managing the physical situation, both without appearing to be the aggressor. This method has become his trademark, earning him well-deserved praise and respect from students, practitioners and law enforcement administration.
Montgomery’s non-conventional, open-minded approach to exploring a topic keeps the training sessions fresh and engaging. Because he’s always seeking a “better way” to deal with aggression, he has challenged many of the current methods in use and has developed, and continues to develop new methods that effectively address today’s issues via alternative means. While maintaining the highest degree of safety, he’s not adverse to altering or even completely changing, commonly accepted training standards and “rules” in order to create realistic and dynamic training procedures. Demand for his methods of training keep the BASETAC training staff on the move.
Montgomery’s life long quest for understanding the human body was complemented with complex training in Fragmentary Human Osteology and bone identification from Dr. Bill Bass, author of “Death’s Acre – The Body Farm” and forensics anthropologist Dr. Hugh Berryman. Montgomery has been seen on The Learning Channel working with Dr. Berryman in the recovery of skeletal remains and trace evidence in and around Tennessee and Georgia. Additionally, his expertise in the use of the edged weapon has made him a regular lecturer for Dr. Lee Jantz of the University of Tennessee’s Forensic Department, lecturing on blade use vs. injuries and the identification of edged weapon marks to the skeletal structure.
Montgomery’s in-depth understanding of physical confrontations has drawn interest from both Los Angeles and local filmmakers, where his expertise has been used to create realistic fight choreography and safe weapons handling. He has also performed as on-screen talent. Because of the ease with which he interacts and relates to the production staff and actors, he has earned both their respect and trust.
Levi Montgomery’s Partial Instructor Qualifications
- Certified Master Instructor Trainer – Man Tracking
- Certified Law Enforcement Instructor
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Use of Force
- Certified Instructor Trainer – SWAT Talk Talking Hands
- Certified Instructor Trainer – COP Talk Talking Hands
- Certified Instructor Trainer – DOC Talk Talking Hands
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Edged Weapon
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Defensive Tactics
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Tactical Joint Controls
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Shooting Solutions
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Critical Confrontation Tactics
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Subliminal Directives
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Officer Survival
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Rescue / Rappel
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Low Light Tactical Shooting
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Baton & Shield
- Certified Instructor Trainer – Tactical Baton
- Certified Instructor Trainer – SWAT Tactical Operations
- Certified Instructor – Less Lethal Munitions
- Certified Instructor – Diversionary Devices
- Certified Instructor – Disturbance / Riot Control
- Certified Instructor – Firearms, Federal Law Enforcement Training Academy (FLETC)
- Certified Instructor – Firearms, DOS State of TN
- Certified Instructor – Gas & Chemical Spray
- Certified Instructor – PPCT
- Certified Instructor – Armed & Unarmed Security
- Certified Instructor – PR24 & Kubaton & Persuader
- Training Officer Development – University of Tennessee, Martin
- Visiting Faculty – Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy (TLETA)
- Lecturer / Trainer – Annual National Law Enforcement Conference,
PA Dept. of Ed.
- Lecturer / Trainer – Sobriety Trained Officers Representing Mississippi (STORM)
- Lecturer – Department of Forensic, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Lecturer – Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology, Middle Tennessee State University
Levi Montgomery’s Law Enforcement Firearms Ratings
- Distinguished Expert, National Rifle Association (NRA)
- Distinguished Weapons Expert, Federal Law Enforcement Training Academy (FLETC)
- Expert, (PPC)